All current open positions are listed below. Please review each tab for the full explanation of the position and to download the Washington County Employment Application.
Library Assistant I – Part Time
Applications for this position will be due by May 22nd. Position is for the Jonesborough Library.
You can download and print this form: Washington Co Employment Application to fill out and return to the Jonesborough Library, or you can pick up a copy at the Circulation Desk
Library Assistant I Information
Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent (GED).
One (1) year or less of experience related to the above described duties.
Related education and related experience may be substituted on an equal basis.
- Performs clerical support in a library environment.
- Answers phones: reference, informational, directory assistance, etc.
- Explains library resources, furnishes book information, and reading guidance.
- Assists customers with photocopiers, computers, microfilm, and fax machine, etc.
- Assists customers in reference and research projects.
- Assists in circulation: check-in, check-out, issuing library cards, collecting fines, etc.
- Assists customers with inter-library loans, both incoming and outgoing.
- Receives shipments from vendors.
- Share in Library Courier duties.
- Prepares and maintains related reports and records.
- Processes books, including jacketing and labeling.
- Mends damaged books or DVDs.
- Assist in Family Movie Matinee / other programs as assigned.
- Prepares articles for mailing or courier transport.
- Checks in periodicals, newspapers and books.
- Assists in collection maintenance: reading shelves, weeding, and inventory.
- Explains library resources, furnishes book information and reading guidance, and interprets department policies to a variety of library users.
- Performs functions such as assembling information packets, photocopying provided materials.
- Locates, retrieves, and organizes materials.
- Assists in shelving incoming materials and in preparing outgoing materials.
- Maintains meeting room schedule.
- May give Computer Classes to customers (one-on-one or group) as needed for beginning computer users to more advanced Microsoft users (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Inventories supplies.
- Performs related or similar duties as required or assigned.
Public Sector Competencies:
Integrity and Honesty: Demonstrates high standards of integrity, trust, openness, and respect for others. Maintains necessary patron and staff confidentiality.
Work Ethic: Is productive, diligent, conscientious, timely, and loyal. Conscientiously abides by the rules, regulations, and procedures governing work.
Service Orientation: Seeks to understand and meets and/or exceeds the needs and expectations of customers. Develops positive relationships with customers.
Accountability: Accepts responsibility for actions and results. Focuses on quality and expends the necessary time and effort to achieve goals. Maintains necessary attention to detail to achieve high level performance and is a good steward of library assets. Takes ownership of tasks, performance standards, and mistakes.
Self -Management Skills: Effectively manages emotions and impulses and maintains a positive attitude. Remains open to new ideas and approaches. Continuously evaluates, adapts, and copes effectively with change.
Interpersonal Skills: Shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, and concern to develop and maintain relationships. Identifies, seeks to solve problems, and prevents or resolves conflict situations. Encourages others through positive reinforcement. Recognizes and develops potential in others.
Self-Development: Seeks efficient learning techniques to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills; uses training, feedback, or other opportunities for self-learning and development.
Professional Maturity: Exhibits the attributes of confidence, assertiveness, tolerance, patience, and empathy at the appropriate time in stressful or high-pressure situations. Knows when to refer an issue to the appropriate level. Aligns personal behavior with library standards. Responds appropriately to supervision and administrative decisions. Takes initiative to accomplish stated goals. Maintains appropriate standards of professionalism. Abides by library policies and procedures.
Customer Relations: Possesses the ability and willingness to interact and communicate effectively with customers. Creates an environment of mutual respect and trust. Presents a positive image of the library and library services.
Communication: Asks appropriate questions to gain information needed to assist the public or provide information to the public. Communicates information in a courteous manner without invoking anger.