Library Assistant I
This is a part time position for the Gray Branch Library.
Interested applicants should submit a resume with references and a copy of the County application to the Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at either of our library locations.
Application deadline is Friday, October 1
Characteristics of Work
This is clerical library work involving the performance of routine and non-routine duties in such areas as reference, classification and cataloging, collection maintenance, circulation, interlibrary loan, and/or serials. Work is performed under the supervision of the branch librarian, library director, or lead worker.
• Is a part time position.
• Entry-level pay rate: $10/hr
• May attend training at locations outside the library – Regional Library or other location
• Will handle sensitive library patron information.
• May be asked to assume responsibility to assist with areas of library programing or activities. These may include adult programing, collection development or assist with training new employees.
• Will also handle funds (cash, checks, credit cards) from multiple accounts and keep accurate records as needed.
• Will comply with state training requirements.
Education: Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent (GED)
Experience: One (1) year or more of experience related to the above described duties. Related education and related experience may be substituted on an equal basis.
These physical requirements are not exhaustive. Corrective devices may be used to meet physical requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be possible.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds from the floor to worktable height and must be able to reach all library shelves, using a stool or other extension device if necessary.
• Requires light work, including continuous walking or operating simple equipment for extended periods of time as well as occasional strenuous activities such as reaching or bending.
• Incumbent must have the ability to climb a step stool and rolling ladder and move a book truck.
This position performs clerical support in a library environment. Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Explains library resources, furnishes book information and reading guidance.
• Assists customers with photocopiers, computers, microfilm, and fax machine.
• Assists customers in reference and research projects.
• Assists in circulation: check-in, check-out, issuing library cards, collecting fines, etc.
• Assists customers with inter-library loans both incoming and outgoing.
• Assists in acquisition: Receives shipments from vendors.
• Processes books, including jacketing and labeling.
• Prepares articles for mailing or courier transport.
• Checks in periodicals, newspapers and books.
• Assists in collection maintenance: reading shelves, weeding and inventory.
• Performs functions such as assembling information packets, photocopying provided materials.
• Locates, retrieves, and organizes materials.
• Assists in shelving in-coming materials and in preparing outgoing materials. Maintains meeting room schedule.
• Performs related or similar duties as required or assigned.